Re: Translation of init scripts

On Tue, Jul 13, 1999 at 02:03:48PM +0200, Enrico Zini wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 12, 1999 at 06:11:11PM -0300, Lalo Martins wrote:
>
> Some quick comments and suggestions to your ideas:
>
> I don't know if plain sh supports aliases, but if it does you can write

Aliases were my first thought; I don't remember why I gave up on
them :-) I guess it's a compatibility problem... perhaps
aliases/functions don't work the same in all *sh variants

> What about sourcing a script providing notification functions to the user? Like:
>
> notify_start() {
> 	echo "Starting $1"
> }
>
> notify_stop() {
> 	echo "Stopping $1"
> }

Functions are even worse. Plain sh for sure doesn't support
them, and then bash and zsh have different sintaxes.

Of course this is the best-looking solution, but Joey Hess has
an even better one, look in the list :-)

> And then, you need a way to install gettext and init pot files in the root
> filesystem and the other pot files in /usr, since you can't suppose /usr is
> mounted while init scripts are run and you can't ask all potfiles to be out of
> /usr/share.

Yes, this is a thing to remember.

I guess gettext has already been moved to /bin in the
gettext-base package, but I haven't checked. Anyway, if we go as
Joey Hess says we don't need to worry about it.

The potfile is easy; prior to opening the text domain (the
potfile), a C program has to "bind" it (set a path), so just
bindtextdomain("whatever", "/somewhere/locale");

The "somewhere" is harder :-) "/share"? Should we be creating
this directory just for locales? Sounds stupid to have something
named "share" on root. Or "/lib"?

[]s,
                                               |alo
                                               +----