RFC: A security-base package for Debian

[I take this discussion over to the devel-l for a broader audience]

Hello List

After taking over the packaging of the snort portscan detector I
discussed with some other maintainers about a creation of a Debian
security-base package that should be a package with the following
benefits:

1. Includes many network security related documents, all in some
   categories and maybe converted to text and/or html (we must see) and
   some short description to read them in a convinient way.

2. The package has dependencies to all security related programs like
   port scan detectors, fakebo, tcpdump, nmap etc pp.

3. It will (maybe later) contain some scripts that check the security
   of the localhost. No intent to replace SATAN-like tools but simply
   telling the user: hey fingerd is not really needed....

read you,

  -christian-

BTW: I cc'd this post to the debian-firewall-l. Maybe we should diskuss
     there further ?

--
Christian Hammers              WESTEND GmbH              Tel 0241/701333-0
ch@westend.com      DPN Verbund-Partner Aachen u. Dueren   Fax 0241/911879