Re: On names of people (was: Re: Please check my translation)

On Sun, Jul 11, 1999 at 12:57:08AM -0400, Buddha Buck wrote:

> Perhaps it would be better to treat the given and family names
> separately?  After all, it is a eurocentric assumption that the family
> name is last.

As Jason reported, they are handled separately in the developer db.
It will take some time to switch the current scripts to use it.

The problem with the current setup is the names are grabbed out
of the Packages files. In order to sort the names, an assumption
has to be made about how the names are listed. It actually does
quite a good job with multi-part last names, e.g. van Buren,
but there isn't a good way to determine when a name is listed
last name first.

Whenever someone has complained about their listing, it has been
hard coded into the scripts the way they want it.

Jay Treacy