Re: [gnu.misc.discuss,gnu.emacs.gnus] Free software: Packagers vs Developers

    Per> Antti-Juhani Kaijanaho <gaia@iki.fi> writes:

    Antti> I have a distinct feeling that you have an attitude
    Antti> problem.

    Per> I _do_ have a problem with the attitude of some Debian
    Per> packagers, but I try not to let it become the focus of the
    Per> discussion.  It is the Debian process which is the real
    Per> problem.

    Antti> From your writings I gather that the swearing is of the
    Antti> nature "Damn those Debian developer go and mangle my code
    Antti> *again*!".

    Per> It more goes like, "Someone writes that someone else had a
    Per> problem when using Emacs for Japanese text, and that this
    Per> patch fixed the problem.  What the fuck (that's the swearing
    Per> part) am I supposed to do with that!"

    Antti> I know many software developers who prefer well-done
    Antti> patches to the best feature requests or the best bug
    Antti> reports.

    Per> Really?  Alone, not as an attachment to a well done bug
    Per> report or a well argued feature request?

    Per> A report like: "Someone else who used a code not entirely
    Per> different from yours had a problem, and this solved it." is a
    Per> _lot_ less useful than "I tried to do this with your code,
    Per> and got that result, while expecting this result."

 Ok, so your complaint is that someone perhaps might use the forward
 menu to quickly pass the buck, without really investigating, testing
 the patch, and then submitting it to your incoming patch queue in
 useable form with a proper ChangeLog entry and all that?

 (and then ten minutes later discover an error and have resend the
 report with a take-two patchlette)

 Sometimes it might be that the maintainer just plain doesn't know how
 to make a "general solution" patch that will work on everything from
 earaches through hockey pux to empty windows.  Linux might be all
 they know anything about, and only at a learner level at that.

 We can all for sure read email.  I need to go get some work done.