Re: More FHS discussion (Was: Uploaded debhelper 2.0.09 (source all) to master)

On Thu, 8 Jul 1999, Joey Hess wrote:

> Joseph Carter wrote:
> > Okay, what did upgrading to glibc2.1 without installing all the other
> > packages that Espy had to NMU alongside it to insure nothing broke?  That
> > as an aside because glibc2.1 should have been libc7 IMO since it does in
> > fact cause these breaks.
>
> If glibc2.1 doesn't conflict with the older versions of those packages, then
> I would consider that a bug.

My understanding is that most of the bugs have been resolved either by
fixing glibc or by udjusting the postinst, even the problem with older APT
has been found, but I don't know if glibc has been fixed yet.

glibc 2.1 -can- be backward compatible, if it isn't then it is a bug that
can and should be fixed. The only trouble will be knowing when it ceases
to be forward compatible, but that is solvable by the glibc maintainer
group.

Jason