RE: IDEA to SERIOUSLY reduce download times!

On 07-Jul-99 John Travers wrote:
> Is there a way to make patches between package updates/upgrades. i.e. the way
> the kernel is done? So instead of downloading whole new binaries, we could
> just
> download source patches and recompile the package...
>
> I have sent this idea before...
>
> Any possibility?

Almost.  From version 1.0-1 to 1.0-2 those are simply updates to the debian
packaging -- not the upstream source.  So sure, grab the packages diff.gz and
away you go.

>From say 1.0 to 1.1 or 2.0 there is a problem.  There is likely no clean patch
between the upstream source and the debian packaging.

Whenever a package is uploaded, the new diff.gz is uploaded with it.  At any
time you can compile any package in Debian (if not post serious bugs).