Re: Note Pentium Optimized only really helps P5 CPUs ...
- To: Jules Bean <email@example.com>
- Cc: Florian Lohoff <firstname.lastname@example.org>, Anderson MacKay <email@example.com>, "R. Brock Lynn" <firstname.lastname@example.org>, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Subject: Re: Note Pentium Optimized only really helps P5 CPUs ...
- From: Joey Hess <email@example.com>
- Date: Tue, 6 Jul 1999 10:38:18 -0700
- Message-id: <19990706103818.K15753@kitenet.net>
- Mail-followup-to: Jules Bean <firstname.lastname@example.org>, Florian Lohoff <email@example.com>, Anderson MacKay <firstname.lastname@example.org>, "R. Brock Lynn" <email@example.com>, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com
- In-reply-to: <3781C62E.E599B229@jellybean.co.uk>
- References: <99070216102202.12954@aeneas> <377C99BB.630CD29F@cyberdude.com> <19990702150631.G5186@mindspring.com> <19990704125737.E9494@mini.gt.owl.de> <19990705094711.D11782@orwell.midsouth.rr.com> <19990705185532.G25808@mini.gt.owl.de> <3781C62E.E599B229@jellybean.co.uk>
Jules Bean wrote:
> Florian Lohoff wrote:
> > > Half of what you asked for is already there: As of 0.3.6,
> > > you can "apt-get -b source apache" to rebuild a package.
> > This is what i remembered and now the only missing piece are
> > "machine-local" compiler settings to easily recompile
> > packages with every compiler somebody over might think of.
> That's easy.
> Make /usr/local/bin/gcc a script which calls
> gcc -march=giraffe -mcpu=pig
> And make sure it's higher in your path, then most packages will
> automatically use it.
Or just install pentium builder and read it's docs (but be aware, it really
needs some work.)
see shy jo