Re: Note Pentium Optimized only really helps P5 CPUs ...
- To: Florian Lohoff <email@example.com>
- Cc: Anderson MacKay <firstname.lastname@example.org>, "R. Brock Lynn" <email@example.com>, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com
- Subject: Re: Note Pentium Optimized only really helps P5 CPUs ...
- From: Stephen Pitts <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Date: Mon, 5 Jul 1999 09:47:11 -0500
- Message-id: <19990705094711.D11782@orwell.midsouth.rr.com>
- Mail-followup-to: Florian Lohoff <email@example.com>, Anderson MacKay <firstname.lastname@example.org>, "R. Brock Lynn" <email@example.com>, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com
- In-reply-to: <19990704125737.E9494@mini.gt.owl.de>; from Florian Lohoff on Sun, Jul 04, 1999 at 12:57:37PM +0200
- References: <99070216102202.12954@aeneas> <377C99BB.630CD29F@cyberdude.com> <19990702150631.G5186@mindspring.com> <19990704125737.E9494@mini.gt.owl.de>
On Sun, Jul 04, 1999 at 12:57:37PM +0200, Florian Lohoff wrote:
> I like the idea of having optimized packages for the High-End users
> but i think it will cause a LOT bigger ftp sites (EV4 EV5 EV6 -> 3 times
> more alpha) (pentium, ppro, k7 -> 3 times bigger i386).
> I would more like the idea of "local" compiler options - Means - If i am
> able to do "apt-get compile apache" it should use MY compiler
> (e.g. pgcc) and the optimizations i would like to have. This optimization
> issue is only interesting for "High-End" users and they have some
> cpu-cycles left on installation.
> Florian Lohoff firstname.lastname@example.org +49-5241-470566
> Good, Fast, Cheap: Pick any two (you can't have all three). (RFC 1925)
Half of what you asked for is already there: As of 0.3.6,
you can "apt-get -b source apache" to rebuild a package.
webmaster - http://www.mschess.org