/etc/ioctl.save

Tripwire is reporting that /etc/ioctl.save is being changed on my servers.
Could someone please tell me what this file is?

Do you think that we should have some sort of registry for config files.  I
would like to be able to run "dpkg -S /etc/ioctl.save" (or some similar
command) and find out what program is manipulating it.
In the case of this file the situation is occurring on my laptop too so I could
always put in an LD_PRELOAD library to syslog any file that opens it.  But if
this only occurred on production machines it would be more of a problem for
me...

--
I am in London and would like to meet any Linux users here.
I plan to work in London until April and then move to another