Re: perl scripts during system boot?

On Sun, 04 Jul 1999 12:46:39 -0700, you wrote:
>Marc Haber wrote:
>> I am currently hacking ipmasq to be a more versatile and flexible tool
>> for firewall configuration. Over the time, doing this in bash has
>> become something of a pain.
>
>As the maintainer of ipmasq, I can certainly appreciate your pain.  I
>just love how the bash documentation doesn't tell you what shell
>constructs are bashisms and which are POSIX sh.  (Or at least, I haven't
>figured it out...)

I don't bother about this and freely use bashisms.

>I wouldn't worry about this.  ipmasq currently uses sort and cut, which
>are both in /usr/bin.

You have a point. I forgot about the ipmasq script itself ;-)

What's the point in putting ipmasq itself to /sbin then if it won't
run without /usr? IMO, it is pointless to have executeables in /bin
and /sbin which won't run without /usr.

>  The ipmasq init script runs just after local
>filesystems are mounted.

So you didn't take into account systems that nfs-mount /usr?

>> Do I have any other options besides continuing to write shell scripts
>> or using full-blown compiled C code?
>
>Whatever you come up with, I will appreciate your input.

There are a number of wishlist bugs open against ipmasq since a few
weeks ;-)

>I would
>prefer, however, that whatever solution you come up with, it be
>backwards compatible to the 3.1+ ipmasqs.

The ipmasq script itself was almost untouched. However, there is not
much left of your original rules ;-)

And btw, I ditched ipfwadm for the development time. Maybe it might be
possible to re-add that support after I got my system working, but
right at the moment it's ipchains only. So I feel that "my" version
won't probably be Debian-ready until a 2.2 kernel is default.

Do you plan to drop ipfwadm support at some time?

Greetings
Marc