Re: Big problems with arch-indep perl-based packages on archs other than i386

*Christopher C Chimelis wrote:

> Hi...
>
> I just realised that there are quite a few perl-based packages
> (libapache-mod-perl, libapache-asp-perl, many more) that install files to
> an architecture-dependent path (ie. /usr/lib/perl5/i386-linux/5.004/).
> Obviously, this is less than optimal for other archs (I'm on Alpha, but
> I'm sure this can be a problem for PPC, m68k, sparc, etc).  I ran into
> this problem when trying to get a few mod-perl-based apache packages
> working on my new Alpha, only to realise that it wasn't finding things
> properly.  On subsequent checking, I found ALOT of perl code in
> /usr/lib/perl5/i386-linux/ that probably should've been stored in
> /usr/lib/perl5/alpha-linux.
>
> Could the maintainers of all arch-independent perl-based packages check to
> see where your debs are placing files on installation?  A simple grep on
> the source package will not work, however, since most Makefile.PL's fill
> in that info when they configure themselves, so you'll have to either
> check master's copy of the debs or build a new one and check with 'dpkg
> -c'.  This will save me ALOT of work filing bug reports and figuring out
> what packages are doing this (there are at least five from what I can tell
> so far).

  Well everyone with a perl-dependent package just got a note from
Raphael.  If they follow the instructions in the perl policy document,
the files should be installed in the correct place. An error or two can
still creep in.  I just relied on porters sending me bug reports.  But
it has finally made be a  bit more aware.

--
John Lapeyre <lapeyre@physics.arizona.edu>,  lapeyre@debian.org