Re: Report on Linuxtag '99

On Tue, Jun 29, 1999 at 06:21:48PM +0200, Marcus Brinkmann wrote:

> non-free. closed source.

I talked with them also. They said they want to keep the developer team small
because more developers only slow down the development - and something like
that.

> They will make it available as a binary + data files for free distribution
> (even commercial), so it can go into Debian non-free.

I was told they will only allow distribution for free - you are only allowed
to account for your own costs. I told them that will exclude it from the
non-free CDs of most Debian distributors. That was not their intention they
told me. Let's see what they will do.

> Anyway, I talked with them and they said they will definitely consider
> releasing the source. They will do it ehn they are not interested in it any
> longer (like it happened with doom, IIRC), and maybe even earlier.

On sunday I talked with them a third time and they told me they even consider
GPL'ing the game after release.

> The data file format will be open, so you can draw your own ship textures
> etc :)
>
> All in all it's pretty damn non-free, but facing in the correct direction. It
> should definitely be package.

ACK!

Looking forward
    Torsten