Re: Report on Linuxtag '99

On Tue, Jun 29, 1999 at 06:21:48PM +0200, Marcus Brinkmann wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 29, 1999 at 01:18:57PM +0200, Martin Bialasinski wrote:
> > Let's see what license they choose.
>
> non-free. closed source.
>
> They will make it available as a binary + data files for free distribution
> (even commercial), so it can go into Debian non-free.
>
> Anyway, I talked with them and they said they will definitely consider
> releasing the source. They will do it ehn they are not interested in it any
> longer (like it happened with doom, IIRC), and maybe even earlier.

Well, whenever they do lose interest in it, please ask them to GPL it.
This has not been done with, for instance, Wolfenstein 3D, Doom, or
Descent, even though the source has been released; they are instead
licensed under "non-commercial use only" or similar non-DFSG terms.

It would be nice for someone to turn loose a game in such a way that it can
be hacked on in the future -- E.g., bugs fixed, engine modified and used as
the basis for a GPL'ed game, etc.

--
G. Branden Robinson              |   If you wish to strive for peace of soul,
Debian GNU/Linux                 |   then believe; if you wish to be a