Re: Moving contrib and non-free of master.debian.org

On Tue, Jun 29, 1999 at 10:52:03AM +0100, Philip Hands wrote:
> Stephane Bortzmeyer <bortzmeyer@debian.org> writes:
> > I suggest also to purge master of non-free software, if we are
> > really serious about free software purity:
>
> SSH
>
> Difficult to replace at present.
>
> Once lsh is a little more mature, then it will be a different story,
> but not yet.

<flame proof suit>
What about kerberos?

True: Kerberos does is in some need of maturing still (IMHO), but I
suspect many people are overlooking it because they don't know or
understand it. (Also: there aren't any up-to-date Debian packages, yet).
Currently I am installing (and fixing bugs) in the heimdal version,
which is completely developed outside USA, hence doesn't have the same
export restrictions as the MIT version.

Kerberos isn't that hard to install. Compared with ssh, there is only
one extra step, setting up and configuring the secure KDC.

heimdal is a different story, of course (I have found one bug and
currently debugging another), but it still hasn't officially been
released.
</flame proof suit>

--
Brian May <bam@snoopy.apana.org.au>