Re: intent to package BladeEnc

On Tue, Jun 29, 1999 at 08:23:13AM -0700, Joseph Carter wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 29, 1999 at 03:54:50PM +0100, Alexey Marinichev wrote:
> > >From its homepage (http://home8.swipnet.se/~w-82625):
> >
> > 	BladeEnc is a freeware MP3 encoder. [..]
>
> You realize that because of software patents and our lame policy that
> anything patented in the US goes into non-free that the only place this
> package can go is non-US/non-free, right?

Does this mean 'encode' could be in non-US/non-free too ? I was told it
couldn't be redistributed by debian when I ITP'ed it earlier this month
(perhaps I misunderstood) !?

See the followups of
 http://www.debian.org/Lists-Archives/debian-devel-9906/msg00387.html

I'm really mixed up on that mp3 patent story, what exactly is the situation
with mp3 encoders ?

regards,
	-remi

--