Re: Postfix as default MTA?

On 29/06, Steve Lamb wrote:

|     There is no such thing as a universal editor.  OK.  There is no such
| thing as a universal MTA, MUA, filtering software, variant of angband, Window
| manager, HTTP server, IMAP server, POP server, FTP server, etc.
|
|     I wish people would get that through their head.

<SARCASTIC MODE>
Sorry, I assumed that people on this list would be able to understand
"universal" as "suitable for most common usages", but obviously I was
wrong.
</SARCASTIC MODE>

|     If an admin is running a machine that has loads so heavy that whatever
| MTA is chosen cannot handle it and they do not have the technical ability to
| change out the MTA, they have no right running that server in the first
| place.  PERIOD.  Especially not one that is based on Debian!

Despite your PERIOD, I will answer this one: of course I hope that admins
running large mailing lists should be able to change their MTA, but they
won't have to if they get a solid one from start.

I do not understand why you seem to be getting upset with this proposal. At
this time, nobody proposes to get Postfix as the *default* mailer (this has
been discussed), but to package it for main and have some developers use it
(especially developers previously using exim) and give their feeling.