Re: Postfix as default MTA?

In article <[🔎] 87bte0a31q.fsf@portia.concentric.net>,
Michael Alan Dorman  <mdorman-debian.devel@debian.org> wrote:

> At the same time, I also think it makes sense for Debian to recommend
> as its default mailer something that's up to handling our listserver's
> load---which we can't do with qmail, and none of the other options
> seem up to the load.  Perhaps before we make this decision we should
> be running it on lists.debian.org (or even just master.debian.org,
> since that sees a lot of mail from people's @debian.org addresses).
> Eating our own dogfood, as the Seattle phrase is said to go.

I don't think the two have much to do with one another. It is
certainly advisable for Debian to go over to Postfix for our list
server once we decide that it is up to replacing qmail on
lists.debian.org (we don't want to preach water and drink wine as far
as non-free software is concerned).

However, that doesn't necessarily mean that Postfix must become the
default mailer for Debian/GNU. It says nowhere that the default mailer
must be the same that we are running on lists.debian.org. After all,
not many of our users will need to handle the same amount of mail!
There are lots of other factors that we will have to consider before
this can be decided. Of course Postfix may be a very nice program (I
haven't seen it myself) and if it fits the bill I'm all for it. I
quite like Exim, too.

Anselm

We are lucky we don't have as much government as we pay for!    -- Will Rodgers