Re: Compile-time options

On Mon, Jun 28, 1999 at 02:37:23PM +0400, Victor Wagner wrote:

> 1. ssh.
>   Ssh can be complied with SOCKS support. Most people don't need it but I
>  recently encounter situation, when I can access outside world only via

ditto. Isn't there an ssh-socks package? (I only need socks for my Solaris
environment, so I don't use the Debian version...).

Yep, here we go:

http://www.debian.org/Packages/unstable/non-us/ssh-socks.html

"This package contains a replacement version of /usr/bin/ssh, which supports
socks4"

>   Opposite is also true. If machine runs audio server, no program could
>   write to /dev/dsp directly. I think that is a same as you cannot run
>   SVGAlib program in xterm window.

I thought the NAS server was adjusted to release the sound device a few
seconds after a sound ends?

> I suppose, that only way to go is to provide several binary packages for
> each such program. (I haven't yet figured out how to  build both NAS-aware
> and not NAS-aware version from same source package, although it is quite
> evident, that orig.tar.gz would be same).

One way is to do a second build in, say, debian/build-nas by doing:

NAS_BUILDDIR = debian/build-nas

# ... in configure/build target
 mkdir $(NAS_BUILDDIR)
 ( cd $(NAS_BUILDDIR) && ../../configure --enable-nas $(CONFIGURE_OPTS) )

# ... in build target
 $(MAKE) -C $(NAS_BUILDDIR)

# ... in install target
 install -c -m 755 $(NAS_BUILDDIR)/prog debian/foo-nas/usr/bin/prog

Alternatively, build the "normal" package, install it, then clean out the
build area, build the NAS package and install the binaries. I prefer the
first way, if it works (which for good autoconf implementations it should),
since you retain the "configure, build, install, package" steps of the
process. YMMV.

HTH

SRH
--
Steve Haslam, Validation Engineer, ARM Ltd, Cambridge UK     +44-1223-400677
steve.haslam@arm.com