Compile-time options

There is some packages which behave differently depending on compile
time options. When one installs such programs from source, it is no
problem, becouse he may chose options which suit his system.

But when using package management system, it becomes a problem, becouse
binary packages come with one (most common configuration). Here are two
examples:

1. ssh.
  Ssh can be complied with SOCKS support. Most people don't need it but I
 recently encounter situation, when I can access outside world only via
 Windows proxy server. runsocks script doesn't help, becouse ssh is suid
 binary and LD_PRELOAD doesn't work on it. So, I have to rebuild ssh
 changing just one option in ./configure line. (which cause one more
 package in Depends: line, so I cannot recomend it as general solution)

2. Network Audio (nas)
  Most sound-enabled programs in Debian distribution are NAS-aware. But,
  typically, it requires recompiling with -laudio and some changes in
  configuration/Imakefile. Only package in slink which can be switched to
  use NAS during runtime configuration, is festival. All other packages
  can be compilied either with direct use of Linux sound driver (which I
  think is evil, becouse it defeats network transparency) or with NAS,
  which
  makes them completely silent when they runs on display which doesn't
  have corresponding audio server.
  Opposite is also true. If machine runs audio server, no program could
  write to /dev/dsp directly. I think that is a same as you cannot run
  SVGAlib program in xterm window.

I have rebuild some packages from slink
  with NAS support and put it on my homepage see
  http://www.ice.ru/~vitus/nas/debian.html (note: I forget to  bring
   diff.gz today)

I suppose, that only way to go is to provide several binary packages for
each such program. (I haven't yet figured out how to  build both NAS-aware
and not NAS-aware version from same source package, although it is quite
evident, that orig.tar.gz would be same).

Victor Wagner			vitus@ice.ru
Programmer			Office:7-(095)-132-0878
Institute for Commerce 		Home: 7-(095)-135-46-61
Engineering                     http://www.ice.ru/~vitus