Re: [XEmacs] New Maintainer, soonish.

[Please CC I'm not subscribed]

> James LewisMoss has offered me the maintainership of the Debian
>  XEmacs packages, and I have accepted.  I'm learning how the
>  XEmacs21

Well, congratulations

> There is a HUGE list of outstanding bugs.

Most of them fixed in XEmacs 21.1.x and/or the latest libgpm  however.
Note that you need 21.1.3 or above to build correctly on glibc 2.1.

- I changed the startups so that the init file is no longer called
   "~/.emacs", it's in "~/.xemacs/init.el".  The options saved by the

PLEASE DON'T DO THIS!

It is very likely XEmacs will move to that sooner or later. If other
people start doing this in their own way it will make the transition
nightmare even worse.

 - I'll try and make it so that these libraries of lisp and XEmacs
   itself can be built using a CVS checkout from the cvs.xemacs.org
   repository.  I want it to be very automatic and easy to reproduce.
   I want tuition for fall term.

If you want you can probably get the debian specific stuff in the
xemacs.org repository too.

- I've got a simple shell script I call `xg' (pasted from a mailing
   list message) that checks for a running "gnuserv" by using `fuser',
   and if it finds you've got one running, execs `gnuclient "$@"',

Please refer to "etc/editclient.sh" from the XEmacs distribution which
is an even better solution to this problem.

- I made a `.kdelnk' for `xg', and some XEmacs icons, properly
   quantized to our standard colormap, and sized correctly.  (32x32
   and 16x16, with transparent backgrounds.)  I would like to provide
   a gnome icon and "kdelnk"alikes also, but don't know how yet...

If you finish this and you do it for editclient.sh, could you submit
it for inclusion in the main XEmacs distribution.

Jan Vroonhof
(jan <at> xemacs.org)