ITP: gettext-base

Ok, I've done the math: A "gettext-base" package containing the
/usr/bin/gettext binary, all the message catalogs, and just the required
bits at /usr/doc/gettext-base has an approximate size of just 70K
(compressed). This is considerably smaller than the 340K (compressed) of
gettext in slink, so it may worth the effort to do the split.

So, if there are not objections, sections and priorities will be like
this:

gettext-base base  standard
gettext      devel optional

I would like some policy saying that packages should not Depend or
Recommend gettext-base but instead check for /usr/bin/gettext and use
"echo" if it does not exist. I don't want people to lose the freedom to
uninstall gettext or gettext-base if these packages are not needed in the
system. Maybe I'll make a proposal for this in debian-policy.

Thanks.

--
 "c5433b283f473dc4d4f210a304a478c4" (a truly random sig)