Re: Thoughts about the GIF/LZW question

On Jun 24, William Brioschi wrote:
> * in main:
> g2 - "gif support removed because it depends on a non free library"
> giftrans - write gif
> libgd1g - write gif
> libgd1g-dev - write gif
> libtiff3g - write tiff?
> libtiff3g-dev - write tiff?
> mrtg - write gif?
> plplot-tcl - write gif?
> webmagick - write gif?
>
> The gif/tiff-writing packages should go to non-US/main, IMO.
> Does libtiff3g include the capability to write LZW-compressed TIFFs?
> If it does, it should be split in a similar way to giflib/libungif.
>
> * in non-free:
> Package        Why non-free
> gfont        - write gif
> gif2png      - read gif
> giflib-bin   - depend on giflib3g 3.0-5.2
> giflib3g     - write gif
> giflib3g-dev - write gif
> gimp-nonfree - write gif, depends on libtiff
> libgd-perl   - write gif?
> whirlgif     - write gif
> xanim        - write gif
> xearth       - write gif
>
> gif2png should go to main if it's otherwise free; the gif-writing
> packages should go to non-US/something as appropriate according to
> their copyright license.

My concern is that this might disqualify US-based maintainers from
maintaining these packages.  Also, my understanding is that xanim's
author has permission from Unisys to distribute the GIF-enabled xanim
(besides, the package is non-free for other reasons too).

Chris
|         Chris Lawrence        |        Get your Debian 2.1 CD-ROMs        |
|    <quango@watervalley.net>   |         http://www.lordsutch.com/         |
|    Grad Student, Pol. Sci.    |    This address has been spam-proofed.    |
|   University of Mississippi   |     All spam goes to your postmaster.     |