Re: Thoughts about the GIF/LZW question

On Thu, Jun 24, 1999 at 10:03:26AM +0200, William Brioschi wrote:
> The following are my believings about the GIF question. I made up
> them acquiring information from different sources but hardly from
> "official" ones.
>
> AFAIK, the whole problem with GIFs and TIFFs is: the LZW algorithm
> used to compress them is patented

> (probably in the US only);

That is exactly the point where we would need detailed information before
spending any more thoughts on the topic. There are US-patents and
internation patents and even patents for only a small number of countries.
As long as we don't know for sure of what kind LZW is, it is no worth
planning anything. Some experts out there?

--
-- JESUS CHRIST IS LORD!