Re: Moving contrib and non-free of master.debian.org

> But wouldn't a better name than 'contrib' be in order for the
> purpose it serves?

Absolutely. Consider what 'contrib' is on most Red Hat CD's! When I
first switched to Debian, it took a while to figure this out. Consider
the newbies...

> hostage [instead of contrib]

That sounds a little... erm... i don't know, violent. ;) Personally I
have always been in favor of putting contrib into non-free. But I'll
probably get a few tomatoes thrown at me for that, so I'll shut up.

> Then perhaps make 'contrib' more like the *gasp* 'contrib' of red hat, for
> non-official contributed .debs made by non-official debian developers...

I don't know about that, I *like* the fact that Debian has much more
'quality control' than Red Hat (where a good portion of RPMs are done
upstream).

> Or perhaps for those waiting for debian developer status, etc.

In this case I *really* think it would be more expedient to get more
people in the new-maintainer team, instead of kludging around the fact
that it takes a while to be proccessed. Setting this kind of area up
just sucks up more manpower.

Speaking of which, that about sums up my opinion of this whole
debate...

deb http://non-free.debian.org/debian unstable non-free
deb http://ftp.debian.org/debian unstable non-free

It's just semantics people, get *over* it... there are more important
things to be done.

--
Debian GNU/Linux - http://www.debian.org/
The Web is to graphic design as the fax machine is to literature.