Re: Moving contrib and non-free of master.debian.org

Michael Stone wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 21, 1999 at 11:30:41PM +0200, Wichert Akkerman - Debian project leader wrote:
> > consider to be free. I see two ways of doing that:
> >
> > I. Create a new host, nonfree.debian.org and move non-free and contrib
> >    there and ask our mirrors if they can consider also mirroring that.
> >
> > II. Create a new host, official.debian.org and copy main there and use
> >    that consistantly when we refer to the Debian distribution.
>
> Are we ever going to have a release in which we don't dramatically
> change package locations? Are we really trying to make it harder for
> people to use debian?

Um, like it takes only one extra line in /etc/apt/sources.list to make up for a
split server.

instead of:

deb http://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US potato/non-US main contrib non-free
deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian potato main contrib non-free

You would have:

deb http://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US potato/non-US main contrib non-free
deb http://http.us.free.debian.org/debian potato main
deb http://http.us.non-free.debian.org/debian potato contrib non-free

That's all most users will ever need to know, if that.

This is mostly a developer and mirror administrator technical issue, apart from
the "political" issue/ message we want to make.

--Brock

---------------------  PGP key ID: FED76A3D <brock@cyberdude.com> 4 / 5 / 1999

   __ _    Debian GNU       R. Brock Lynn             (bytopian on irc #debian)
  / /(_)_ __  _   ___  __   http://www.debian.org/     irc.openprojects.net
 / / | | '_ \| | | \ \/ /                    Free Software!
/ /__| | | | | |_| |>  <    Remember that's "Free" as in Freedom!,
\____/_|_| |_|\__,_/_/\_\   Not Free as in price.      Debian's 'Da Bomb!