Re: [WNPP] Program to learn other languages

On Sun, Jun 20, 1999 at 04:56:21PM +0200, Javier Fdz-Sanguino Pen~a wrote:

>         Now that we have so many developers working in so many countries
> maybe we should include some "educational" stuff useful even of
> other developers.
>         I would like Debian to include free language "teachers". Take
> the growth of Japanese developers, in order to use some of the things
> they are packaging maybe we should need a "Lear Japanese" kind of
> program :)

  I'm just about finished kana-drill.el... a simple tool to learn kana.
For kanji there's already an excellent program kdrill.  And with all
the electronic dictionaries available, it would be fairly easy to write
a vocabulary program.  Package these together with some well written
documents teaching basic Japanese grammar, and you have a quality course
in Japanese for free.  Maybe even throw in some sound bytes of proper
pronunciation.

  More generally, if there were multiple translation dictionaries
available (I think I saw something about this recently) you could set
up a generalized vocabulary drill between any two languages (you could
also have a local babelfish).  Also I might generalize kana-drill.el to
test.el, which would run through various kinds of tests and drills.

--
Alex