Re: Moving contrib and non-free of master.debian.org

On Tue, Jun 22, 1999 at 10:37:24PM +0200, Norbert Nemec wrote:
> Guess, that idea already has been discussed and ruled out, but still I think
> it may serve better:
>
> Why not put some kind of a sign on every non-free package, instead of moving
> those packages anywhere? There is a number of ways that could be done
> - something in the name of the package
It's even less distinct than what we currently have (or no difference if we
keep the current layout).

> - a message when installing the package
Nagware-ish.  Every non-free package you install, you have to agree to some
announcement that this package is non free...

> - something that shows up clearly in dselect/apt
(this applys to above, too) doesnt' help the distinction for people
browsing http or ftp directories...

> And perhaps, the README.Debian should be mandatory to contain a brief
> explanation why this package is considered non-free (often it is obvious,
> but often it is not, especially for those new to the world of free software)
I think this is a good idea, regardless of what we do with the archive...
it's a -policy issue.

> Many of the users do get Debian on CD, so they won't even realize which
> server the packages were on. Also, putting an additional server in your
> apt-file is a one time action, while a sign on every package (however it
> would look) would be recognized at every installation.
putting an additional like would be like saying "I wish to use non-free
software"  That covers teh anser to each question.  It's a chance to make a
consious decision by the user.  They see the free stuff.  They're told that
non-free stuff exists if they check this other server or add this line to
their source.list file.