Re: Debian SGML/XML packages (was Package wanted: libxml-grove-perl)

On Mon, Jun 14, 1999 at 06:53:09PM +0200, Ardo van Rangelrooij wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have to wait with packaging libxml-perl since it needs Perl 5.005,
> and also XML::Parser (already available), XML::DOM and XML::Grove.
> Further, on the perl-xml mailing list I also saw XML::Catalog
> being announced which needs some other not yet debianized modules.

That's why I'm waiting on packaging XML::DOM, BTW, because it depends
on Perl 5.005, also.  I've got a package built, but it's no good until
Perl 5.005 is uploaded.  XML::CGI and XML::Writer are currently in the
distro, as well, and I'm working on packaging pretty much anything else
other than libxml-perl that's in the XML modules section of CPAN... if
you want anything else/have anything else already packaged, please, let
me know so the work isn't duplicated!

> All this made me think about putting together a web page listing all
> the current XML Perl modules, whether they are debianized and by who,
> which are their dependencies, etc.  This makes it easier to track what
> needs to be done, etc.

<AOL/>

> We could even extend this into a set of web pages listing all the SGML
> and XML packages (and even those that are not yet) available in Debian,
> links to other SGML/XML sites, etc.  In other words, continueing where
> the announcement from Adam Di Carlo titled "Debian Touts Integrated
> SGML Environment" on debian-announce on March 30 "left off".

<AOL/>

> Further, we could even setup a debian-sgml-xml mailing list to discuss
> related issues.  Adam also has been thinking about a "Debian/SGML(/XML?)
> Tutorial", but he's (too? ;-) busy.  Maybe we can help out here.  Again
> in other words, we could make Debian really become _the_ SGML and XML
> platform of choice.  Of course, this takes time, but we at least could
> give it a start.

<AOL/>

I have to say that I thoroughly agree with what you've presented, and,
if Adam welcomes our help (which I'm sure he will ;), I'll gladly
volunteer for whatever needs to be done.  I'll maintain the web pages
in my space on master, if I may, and also continue my work on packaging
libxml-.*-perl... here's to a press release in the future: "Debian Touts
Integrated SGML/XML Enviroment" ;)

Thanks,
Stevie

--
  From "Seacht rud nár mhúin Scoil Innealtóireacht"
       (Seven Things Engineering School Didn't Teach)
  #1.  Is clár faisnéise é Dilbert.
       Dilbert is a documentary.