Re: Automatically restart daemons

Sven Rudolph wrote:
> IMHO the real solution is to make all the daemons check themselves
> whether their config files have changed. This obsoletes the whole
> problem, but it is contrary to Unix tradition.
>
> Implementation: If you seldomly receive requests the daemon could stat
> the config files on every request. Otherwise you have to do the same
> thing time driven. A better approach were a select(2) extension that
> informs you whenever a file was modified.

I wouldn't want my daemons automagically restarting when thier configs
changed.  When mon is paging me about a machine I took down, I comment
it's entry in mon.cf, reload mon, undo my changes and exit.  Then all I
have to do to watch that machine again is reload mon.  There are many
instances where you want to write a config file, but you not ready to
reload the daemon yet.  All the polling problems aside.
							- Tom