Re: Automatic access to master

On Thu, Jun 10, 1999 at 06:28:46PM -0400, Andrew Pimlott wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 09, 1999 at 10:30:06AM +0200, Wichert Akkerman wrote:
> > Support for ssh-agent has been put into the default Xsession though. Please
> > look at /etc/X11/Xsession (and /etc/X11/Xsession.options if you have recent
> > X packages).
>
> I raised some objections to this in bug #35132.  Branden set it to wishlist,
> which I find reasonable, but since it came up I wonder if anyone else thinks
> this is a mistake?

The ssh-agent aspect of your complaints has been addressed, but I haven't
closed the bug because you had 2 or 3 other gripes in that bug as well.

xfree86-1 (3.3.3.1-5) unstable; urgency=low
[...]
  * debian/xfree86-common/Xsession:
    - clean up error handling and messages a bit
    - support new "use-ssh-agent" option
    - Fixes: #34104
  * debian/xfree86-common/Xsession.5:
    - document ssh-agent behavior
  * debian/xfree86-common/Xsession.options:
    - ship with new option "use-ssh-agent" on by default
  * debian/xfree86-common/Xsession.options.5:
    - document use-ssh-agent option
[...]
 -- Branden Robinson <branden@debian.org>  Thu, 27 May 1999 04:23:53 -0400

While I'm at it I might as well address the other points in your bug.

1) I inherited this way of doing things from the previous maintainer.
Provided the packaging system does not fail to install Xsession.options,
though, I don't see this as a big deal.  More flexibility is better than
less, and the options do default to the permissive state.

in general) only the ssh-agent change was new and surprising

by the way) xinit and startx have been separated since time immemorial.
The job of xinit is just to get the X server started, and not much more.
The purpose of startx is to get an X session in order as well.

If your concerns have been addressed to your satisfaction, please consider
closing the bug.

--
G. Branden Robinson              |
Debian GNU/Linux                 |               It tastes good.