Re: KerberosV

Matt Kern <mwk20@cam.ac.uk> writes:

> In line with normal KerberosV installations I am planning on installing
> kerberised versions of rsh, rcp, rlogin, ftp and telnet in /usr/bin.  The
> kerberos packages will conflict with telnet and divert the netstd packages
> to binary.netstd (which the kerberised versions will use as a fallback).
>
> Does anyone have any objections to this scheme or any suggestions as to
> how it may be improved?

When I did the kerberos 4 packages I had them use a prefix of k. Actually I
used a transform of s/^k?/k/ Ie, prefix a k if there isn't a k prefix already.
This means they install as ktelnet, krsh, krcp, etc.

I am wary of using diversions because several packages might divert things
like telnet, rlogin, etc. diversions work best if it's really a unique
situation, not when there are multiple packages that provide the same thing.

Ideally we would have you install k5telnet k5rlogin etc, I would install
k4telnet k4rlogin, etc, and we would use alternatives to allow the user to
choose which would be the default telnet and rlogin. But this requires
cooperation from the netstd package.

greg