Re: Automatic access to master

Jonathan P Tomer <jpt@cif.rochester.edu> writes:

> further, if you were asked for a *password* (rather than a passphrase for
> your idkey) one of two things has happened: either (a) your .ssh2
> directories on master and/or the initiating machine do not contain the
> authorization and identification file (plus your public key on master and
> private key on the originating machine), or you are trying to use a
> combination of a debian sshd with a non-debian ssh.
>
> this latter bit me. i am sure it's not the run-time configuration of the two
> (because i ran them both with the same one), and i'm not aware of any
> buildtime options that should make ssh2 incompatible with other ssh2d's for
> public key authentication. i am about to file a bug report if none already
> exists.

SSH2 ?

master doesn't have ssh2 installed on it, so it's unlikely to be
interested in ``.ssh2/''.  master probably won't get ssh2 installed on
it either, given the license conditions.

If you're being shown a password prompt, then the most probable cause
is that you've got one of:

  ~/
  ~/.ssh/
  ~/.ssh/authorized_keys

set as group writable.  ssh doesn't like this, so running something
like this:

  chmod g-w ~/ ~/.ssh ~/.ssh/authorized_keys

will fix it for you.  A quick look at master shows that two people
have group writable authorized_keys files (brianb, yochi)

Cheers, Phil.