Re: Hey! what should I do?

On Wed, Jun 09, 1999 at 09:23:11AM -0400, Michael Stenner wrote:
> >I maintain the asclassic package.  I can have a look at the newest stable
> >afterstep if you like---it's almost certainly very similar to the
> >asclassic package given that I've forked asclassic from it.  =D  Thing
> >is, unless I can convince the thing to behave in a manner similar to
> >asclassic, I don't really want to maintain the beast all that much.
> >
> >I'd be willing to give you a hand with it, or possibly adopt it myself if
> >I can get the newest versions to behave properly.
>
> I'd be willing to adopt it, I think.  (I VERY much appreciate the offer
> of help)  The trouble is, it doesn't seem to be up for adoption!  I
> recall seeing a similar issue come up before?  Is it appropriate to just
> "steal" someone's package?

It is always best not to just walk off with someone's package..  Adopting
their package because they're no longer maintaining it isn't too hard,
just post an Intent to Adopt (pretty much the same as an Intent to
Package) and give it a week or two..  Cc the package's maintainer if you
do that.  If the developer is known to be on vacation or something,
hopefully someone will relate that information to you.

> >> Personally, I don't care -- I can and do install the latest versions
> >> from tarballs in about 2 minutes, but new users aren't normally willing
> >> ot do that (we discourage it, after all).
> >
> >I'd discourage it too---I never install tarballs anymore.  It does bad
> >things.  It's always better to debianize the tarball first, and with
> >debhelper not terribly painful to do either.
>
> (it's not too bad with a /usr/local/pkg/Afterstep_x.x.xx/ dir that only
> symlinks extending out the the rest of the world --- .debs are better)

Agreed, that is pretty much the same plan that /opt uses.

"my biggest problem with RH (and especially RH contrib packages) is that
they DON'T have anything like our policy.  That's one of the main reasons
why their packages are so crappy and broken.  Debian has the teamwork
side of building a distribution down to a fine art."