Re: little? apt suggestion

This sounds pretty cool.  I'm a (new) Debian developer and looking for a good project
to start work on.  If you want help putting something together, let me know. :)

So wrote Sarel Botha on Tue, Jun 08, 1999 at 11:24:34PM +0200:
> How about an apt-get command that retrieves a list of mirrors and pings them
> all to get an idea of the speed and then adds a line to sources.list for
> the quickest site. Maybe a nice curses ui to choose if you want security.debian,
> latest gnome packages, netgod's x updates etc. as well.
>
> I also find myself switching between different mirrors quite often, be it
> server downtime, speed etc. What i usually do then is change the line in
> /etc/apt/sources.list to point to the the new server and i also rename the
> file in /var/state/apt/lists so that it corresponds to the new file that would
> have been created for the new server so that is doesn't have to run the update
> again. Maybe this could also be automated?
>
> At the moment I'm still learning C and have worked a bit with ncurses in perl
> (very much the same as C's ncurses) so I would be glad to help implement such
> a feature but I'm not a maintainer yet and the mailings about how much time it
> takes to process a new application are quite discouraging :(

- James

--
James Bielman <jamesjb@tailrecursion.com>    Debian GNU/Linux Maintainer
"The OS so big it's scary."                       http://www.debian.org/