Re: libc6-dev and "-pedantic -O" warnings

Lars Wirzenius wrote:

> Yes, the library and its headers may be written in any way the
> developers want, as long as they obey the relevant standards.
>
> However, the issue here, as far as I understand it, is that if one
> does use gcc -pedantic (or other similar options) to check one's own
> code for problems, then one should NOT get any warnings or errors from
> the library part. This is not a standards compatibility issue, but a
> "quality of implementation" and plain old usability issue.

I have (foolishly) tried coding ANSI C for Microsoft Windows and have
seen this same problem with Microsoft's "windows.h" file.

The stupid header is not ANSI compliant, so if you turn on ANSI
compilation mode, the header won't compile.  Which means that you can't
write ANSI C programs that open windows, at least I couldn't figure out
how to do so.  Maybe there is a way, but I don't have time to work
around such MS BS.

I hope that Debian will avoid such problems.  ANSI compatibility is more
important than efficiency in most situations.

| Shawn Yarbrough               |  Skepticism is healthy, and anyone |
| shawn@rivalsoftware.com       |  claiming otherwise is either a    |
| http://www.rivalsoftware.com  |  con artist or a Christian!!!      |