RE: Anacron (was: Add "nice -10" to /etc/crontab run-parts comma

On 05-Jun-99 Norbert Nemec wrote:
> On Sat, May 29, 1999 at 09:27:12PM -0500, David Welton wrote:
>> 5. Lots of people who run their boxes at home use anacron, and it
>> would be nice to have the big jobs run without disturbing the user
>> much.  Anacron runs all the unrun jobs shortly after booting up, just
>> when you are loggin in and getting going... Anything to help this out
>> would be good.
>
> Now, where you are talking about anacron: Does anybody know of a program to
> detect idle times of the system? I do not have my machine running all the
> time, so cron won't do for me, but with anacron, I have the problem that the
> jobs are done in the worst moment - right when I want to start working.

anacrontab has three fields:

how often to run, a delay period, and the job to run

By adjusting the delay, you can make it so the first 10 minutes of computing
are not devoted to fsck and then your cron scripts.

> Is there any way to track any signs of the system being busy (keys, mouse,
> system load, perhaps others) and start jobs during idle times? That would be
> a very nice alternative to cron and anacron!

This would be very tricky.