want to help with Afterstep

I would like to help with packaging afterstep.

The current (stable and unstable) .debs for afterstep are pretty old.
The last changes (according to the debian changelog) happened on Jan 11.

I have written the current developer (Jonathon D. Nelson --
nels0988@tc.umn.edu) and offered to help him twice in the last month and
have received no reply.

What to do now?  (I don't mean the technical details of becoming a
developer, etc)  I don't _really_ want to begin my development career
with something as big as afterstep.  Helping would be ideal.  However,
I'd really like for us to have a more up-to-date version.  What should I
do?

					Thanks,
					 Michael

  Michael Stenner			Office Phone: 919-660-2513
  Duke University, Dept. of Physics	  mstenner@phy.duke.edu
  Box 90305, Durham N.C. 27708-0305