Re: /etc/profile.d ?

dz@cs.unitn.it (Massimo Dal Zotto) writes:

> > psu25682@odin.cc.pdx.edu (Karl M. Hegbloom):
> > > What if we had an /etc/profile.d (not invented here) where packages
> > > (like postgresql) could drop a startup file for /etc/profile to source
> > > in a for f in /etc/profile.d/* loop?
> > >
> > > Pros and cons?
> >
> I have already a debian package doing this. It works fine for me. I have
> an /etc/profile.d with specific subdirs for bash and csh shells and a
> common directory for scripts which are not shell-specific.
> I use it to setup a common shell environment and shell aliases which the
> user is free to modify or delete if he wants to.

[ snip ]
> With three pros, one con and a working package I vote for your proposal.
> If someone is interested I can upload the package to my web site.

I'd be very interested in your package.  I've made a similiar one a
few months ago called "sysprofile" and "xsysprofile" but which uses a
"/etc/sysprofile.d/" directory instead of "/etc/profile.d/".  For me
it is mainly a *mechanism* for modularizing systemwide common shell
settings (bash-only so far) for the lazy sysadmin's use.  I consider
this not appropriate for packages to drop their customizations into.

I was playing with the idea of uploading it to master once i feel
confident enough to have reached a certain level of usefulness.  I'd
be delighted if people could check it out and maybe enhance it in some
way.  The "sysprofile" and "xsysprofile" packages including source can
be downloaded from "ftp://ntama.uni-mainz.de/pub/debian/unofficial/";.
It is in a rather raw state and won't affect any system settings until
you start customizing it.  It comes with a bunch of simple examples.

Note that the approach of this mechanism differs from Redhat's insofar
as it is not meant to be used by other packages but by each particular
sysadmin only to ease maintenance e.g. of a common netwide setup.
It's a primitive mechanism but it has proven here to work for what it
was designed for.
                            Thanks, P. *8^)
--
   --------- Paul Seelig <pseelig@goofy.zdv.uni-mainz.de> -----------