Re: non-English copyright

    Atsuhito> Hello all, this may be disturbing for most of you but I
    Atsuhito> would like some of you will check the following rough
    Atsuhito> translations of copyrights from Japanese to English as I
    Atsuhito> wrote in former email.

Where can I get a copy of the original Japanese copyright so I
can check it against your English? :)

    Atsuhito> (1. will be non-free) Distribution:

    Atsuhito> Unless you delete the necessary files or modify them you
    Atsuhito> can distribute and/or use freely.

I'm not sure what the original Japanese was here, but this doesn't
make very much sense in English. I think this is what you meant,
though:

"You can distribute and use this software freely as long as you do
not delete or modify the files contained within."

    Atsuhito> You can not distribute or use the program for
    Atsuhito> commercial purpose.

Here I would suggest "may" instead of "can" (this is a mistake
many English speakers make too, actually!) -- "may" means "you
have permission". "can" means "you are able to do". The difference
is subtle, but important.

"You may not distribute or use this program for commercial purposes."

    Atsuhito> If you find bugs and you need to modify the program to
    Atsuhito> fix them, please contact the author. If you add new
    Atsuhito> functionality to the program please contact the author
    Atsuhito> to confirm where you modify and after modified please
    Atsuhito> notify the author where you modified.

The second sentence should be more like:

"If you add new functionality to the program, please contact
the author with information about what you modified and where."

    Atsuhito> You can not distribute the modified version to prevent
    Atsuhito> the disorder with derivative versions.

Here, I would use "confusion" instead of "disorder", and I would
put the reason why you may not distribute the modified version
first:

"To prevent confusion with derivative versions, you may not distribute
a modified version of this program."

    Atsuhito> 1. foo is provided "AS IS" and any express or implied
    Atsuhito> warranties are disclaimed. In no event shall the author
    Atsuhito> and the organization the author belongs to, be liable
    Atsuhito> for any damages arising in any way out of the use of
    Atsuhito> foo.  2. You can redistribute foo freely provided you
    Atsuhito> retain this copyright.  3. You can modify foo and use it
    Atsuhito> freely. But you can not distribute the modified version
    Atsuhito> without the permission of the author. You must contact
    Atsuhito> the author.

Here, again, I would use "may" everywhere you used "can". Everything
else is fine.

    Atsuhito> You can contact the author at <someone@some.where.jp>
    Atsuhito> when you report the bug and/or the modification.

I would combine this sentence with the previous one ('you must
contact the author') and say:

"You must contact the author at <someone@some.where.jp> to report
any bugs and/or modifications."

    Atsuhito> 3. You can distribute the modified version only if the
    Atsuhito> distribution of "patch files" with the source code for
    Atsuhito> the purpose of modifying the program at build time.

"You may only distribute a modified version as a 'patch file' against
the original source code for the purposes of modifying the program
at build time."

    Atsuhito> You can use, modify and redistribute the program without
    Atsuhito> the permission of the author. In no event shall the
    Atsuhito> author be liable for any damages arising in any way out
    Atsuhito> of the use of the program.

(replace 'can' with 'may')

    Atsuhito> Please send the bug reports and/or encouragements to the
    Atsuhito> author: <someone@some.where.jp>

Change 'the bug reports' to just 'bug reports'. :)

    Atsuhito> You can distribute freely "foo" and "foo1" unless you
    Atsuhito> modify them.

"You may distribute 'foo' and 'foo1' freely unless you modify them."

    Atsuhito> It is recommended to distribute as a whole but if not
    Atsuhito> you must include this notice.

"It is recommended to distribute these programs as a whole but if
you do not, you must include this notice."

    Atsuhito> There is no problem to separate "foo2" and "foo3" for
    Atsuhito> they are independent from the rest.

"You may distribute 'foo2' and 'foo3' separately from the other
programs, as they are independent of the rest."

    Atsuhito> You can distribute the modified version if you include
    Atsuhito> the original copyright and if the program shows the
    Atsuhito> message which tell the users the program is modified,
    Atsuhito> for example, shows the special version number. You can
    Atsuhito> use freely a part of the source files.

"You may distribute a modified version of this program if you include
the original copyright and the modified program displays a message
informing the user that the program is modified -- for example,
showing a special version number. You may use the source files
freely as a whole or in part."

I hope this helps!

Ben

--
Brought to you by the letters W and E and the number 6.
"Sculch is junk."