Re: [OFF-TOPIC] Clueless ISPs

On Fri, 4 Jun 1999, Torsten Landschoff wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 03, 1999 at 09:01:22AM +0100, Philip Hands wrote:
>
> > My advice to you is to find an ISP who has a clue (oh, and tell them why
> > you're changing ISPs) --- eventually people taking this approach will kill
> > the clueless ISPs off, or the ISPs in question will develop a clue.
>
> That's a problem because we - people using the internet having a clue - are a
> small minority. My provider will not care if I move to another one while I
> have to tell people my email address changed (okay, in this case I only had to
> change forwards).
>
> The only group who could change this are the big ISPs who have a clue. They
> could just switch off the router to this idiots making our all lifes easier
> ;-))

I prefer option three;

The provider that gives a damn about spammers.

My provider is beyond anal about spam. They have NEVER been attacked for
spamming, being a relay, or RBL'd. And spammers have tried many times. I
keep in touch with the owner and system administrator, since they're
personal friends, and I've heard tales of lusers with 128k ISDN who have
tried spamming only to be kicked off the PM3 or PM4, and having their
account deleted, then billed $2500 for abuse of resources. And they've
collected every time.

So instead of whining about clueless lusers, you should scream at your ISP
for letting it happen in the first place. :P

-prj