Re: Technical mail setup question

At 10:59 +1000 1999-06-04, Craig Sanders wrote:
On Thu, Jun 03, 1999 at 06:07:49PM -0400, Brian Cox wrote:
Also, I'm not sure how one goes about authenticating with a relay
server.  If there is some provision in SMTP to authenticate with
username/password (of which I do not know), then this might work.
Otherwise, an ISP relay is simply going to relay messages that come
from the "right" IP or the "right" email address.

no, there is no authentication for SMTP.

There are several standards track RFCs for authenticated SMTP; RFC 2487: SMTP Service Extension for Secure SMTP over TLS, RFC 2554: SMTP Service Extension for Authentication.
--
Joel Klecker (aka Espy)                    Debian GNU/Linux Developer
<URL:mailto:jk@espy.org>                 <URL:mailto:espy@debian.org>