GIMPS: CPU Cycle recycler (was: Re: WNPP: distributed-net up for adoption )

On Fri, 4 Jun 1999, Stephane Bortzmeyer wrote:

> I am very interested in a program to burn my unused CPU cycles and I
> have many Debian machines whose CPU does nothing (network servers,
> mostly) but I want only free programs. I can stand non-free programs
> if they do something useful for me (I use Networker Legato for
> backups, for instance), but not when I donate. Since distributed-net
> and Seti@home are horribly non-free (see the thread on Seti@home three
> weeks ago, its authors seem completely closed), is there any solution?

I'm using GIMPS (Great Internet Prime Search). In a nutshell, the goal is
to find large Mersenne prime numbers. The 3 last biggest known primes have
been found thanks to this method.

More information:

General:
http://www.mersenne.org/prime.htm
Biggest known prime:
http://www.mersenne.org/3021377.htm
Software:
http://www.mersenne.org/freesoft.htm
Sources:
ftp://entropia.com/gimps/source.zip
Primenet:
http://entropia.com/ips/

I'm not sure if it's really free software, but at least you have the
source code. Also, thanks to primenet, you can run in automatically on
many machines, and have a nice report of your activity.

	Cordialement,

--
- Vincent RENARDIAS  vincent@{{ldsol,pipo}.com,{debian,openhardware}.org} -
- Debian/GNU Linux:   http://www.openhardware.org    Logiciels du soleil: -