Re: html question: setting relative path to cgi-bin script

On 03-Jun-99, 09:46 (CDT), Peter S Galbraith <GalbraithP@dfo-mpo.gc.ca> wrote:
> Is it wise to assume that users who have a httpd server will call
> the docs as http://SERVERNAME/doc/mh-book/... and not as
> file:/usr/doc/mh-book/... ?  I presume not.

You're correct: I often use file:/usr/doc/whatever to read HTML docs
even though I have an http server running. OTOH, I don't expect cgi
stuff to work when I do that -- if I come across something like that, I
re-enter the URL. No big deal. If it were easy to accommodate, I'd say
go ahead and do it, but since it appears it isn't, don't worry about it.

Of course, the right answer is to use TeXinfo instead of HTML, so that
proper search facilities are built in....

Steve "I'm kidding about info. Mostly." Greenland