Re: #38544: Gettext solution (Was: Re: gettext packages)

On Wed, Jun 02, 1999 at 03:20:52PM +0100, Julian Gilbey wrote:

> Because libc6-dev is a development package anyway, and is named as
> such.  No desire to compile => no need for libc6-dev; desire to
> compile => need for libc6-dev.  Further, Joe User downloads some
> package which he wants to use and it requires compilation.  Just so
> happens that the authors of the package have decided for one reason or
> another to make the binary statically linked.  ("Installation
> instructions: type ./configure; make") How should Joe User understand
> why only having libc6-headers or whatever it would be called and not
> libc6-static makes his compilation fail?  So I'm actually less

This is what README files are for. If somebody wants to compile he should have
some knowledge. You could stress the same argument to put
libstdc++2.9-glibc2.1-dev into the libc6-dev package then. AFAIR SuSE puts the
C++ and C development libs together, so this might be a trap for those people.

BTW: That package name is far too long. It does not fit into the dpkg -l
listing. I had to use dpkg --get-selections... Sad.

cu
    Torsten