Re: [PAM] Should `ssh' depend on `libpwdb'?

Ben Collins <bcollins@debian.org> writes:
> On Mon, May 31, 1999 at 07:05:40PM -0400, Michael Alan Dorman wrote:
> > psu25682@odin.cc.pdx.edu (Karl M. Hegbloom) writes:
> > > I think I remember reading in one of these mailing lists that the PAM
> > > `libpwdb' is deprecated, and should not be used, since it bypasses the
> > > normal "nsswitch" mechanism in glibc.  Is this true?
> >
> > Based on messages that went out on the pam list in the last seven
> > days, I do not think the PAM developers consider libpwdb as
> > deprecated.
> >

> Deprecated is not the proper term. libpwdb is not prefered in Debian as
> it is in RedHat. Considering that the majority of the libpwdb code is
> duplication of the same libc calls, it's considered overkill and adds
> an uneeded layer to the authentication process.

OK.  I was reading it as libpwdb being generally deprecated, not just
Debian-wise.

Would it be useful for people if there was a Debian Authentication
guide that addressed 1) what is available, 2) what is preferred and 3)
what sorts of mind-bogglingly neat stuff you can do with it?

Mike.