Re: inittab hacking

> Is there policy on how package installation/deinstallation should
> munge /etc/inittab?  cron munging is now done via /etc/cron.d files
> instead of direct munging of /etc/inittab; is there a similar
> mechanism for inittab?  should there be?

Why does there need to be?  And realize that if inittab gets hosed, things get
rather bad from there on in.

only thing I can come up with is this would allow changing of gettys easily.
However I do not see this as a real issue.  How many people need to change
their getty? (although I do believe we should shipo mingetty not agetty as
default).