Re: Developing

On Wed, 2 Jun 1999, Jordan Evatt wrote:

> Hello... I'm interested in developing or packaging something for debian,
> to help the effort. I read everything on the site about "taking over"
> someone else's package or development, and that's why I'm sending this
> email. Does anyone have any suggestions or places I can start?
> I've been using linux for about a year, and now that I have everything
> in perfect working order, i want to do something for the debian cause
> (or something like that). Sooo... gimme something. I know a bit of c++
> programming, and I can write webpages as well (not that it matters), and
> i could learn how to use the debian development tools real fast.
There is a real need for a good scientific plotting program.  Some
time ago we discussed about the packaged GnuPlot, the (yet) unpackaged
Physica and a third plotting program.  Some days ago there was an
announcement in the Gtk-list for GtkPlot which is available at

I'm not sure if it is packaged yet but in my opinion somebody should
spend the time to evaluate these programs and perhaps enhance the "best"
of it.  The lack of a good plotting program is the cruxial point why
many of my collegues at the physics department not switch to Linux.

Kind regards

[X] Against war.