Re: PROPOSAL: automatic installation and configuration
- To: Massimo Dal Zotto <email@example.com>
- Cc: debian-devel <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Subject: Re: PROPOSAL: automatic installation and configuration
- From: Torsten Landschoff <email@example.com>
- Date: Wed, 2 Jun 1999 00:59:06 +0200
- Message-id: <19990602005905.B28146@wormhole.galaxy>
- In-reply-to: <199905312114.XAA04839@nikita.wizard.net>; from Massimo Dal Zotto on Mon, May 31, 1999 at 11:14:53PM +0200
- References: <19990528225910.A7402@wormhole.galaxy> <199905312114.XAA04839@nikita.wizard.net>
On Mon, May 31, 1999 at 11:14:53PM +0200, Massimo Dal Zotto wrote:
> This is a terrible way of doing things if you have more than 2500 packages.
Hmm, I did not install every package. I have just 671 packages installed :)
> My proposal was designed to have very little impact on existing packages.
... which is good.
> They don't need to know what is behind the getconfig API. They just need to
> label each question with a symbolic id (varname) and make their questions
> using the API.
Yep, but I don't think it is to hard to support a file
/var/lib/config_data/<package> or something like this.
This file could read
foo_choices="a b c"
So the postinst would only call dpkg-getconfig package_foo. All the
information about foo is in the information file.