Re: lsh 0.1 released (gpl'ed ssh)

On Sun, May 30, 1999 at 18:50:19 -0500, Rob Browning wrote:
> I'd qualify on the C/Scheme front, but I'm presuming that it needs non-us
> developers, right? and further, I'm not a cryptography expert...

There are quite a few things to be done that do not require cryptography
expertise (e.g. documentation, most of the work on identifying
interoperability issues with SSH2, implementing some features). The core
crypto code of lsh is well-tested (it comes from Pike mostly). The SSH2
protocol is quite modular, so deep knowledge of crypto isn't required.

As to whether you need to be non-us, US developers are definitely welcome,
but should be aware of the regulations. As I understand things, it's
probably safe if you distribute/export contributions in patch form, as long
as these contributions do not directly affect the cipher code. After all,
one could modify lsh's sources to do ROT-13 encryption only; then it should
be safe to export from the US.

HTH,
Ray
--
PATRIOTISM  A great British writer once said that if he had to choose
between betraying his country and betraying a friend he hoped he would