Re: Bugs in bash (was: Release-critical Bugreport)

> ash is not POSIX compliant, incidentally. Basically there are two
> POSIX shells in Debian, bash and pdksh.

But as far as I can determine from the ash manpage, it is heading that
way (this is from the slink version):

DESCRIPTION
       Sh is the standard command interpreter for the system.
       The current version of sh is in the process of being
       changed to conform with the POSIX 1003.2 and 1003.2a spec-
       ifications for the shell.  This version has many features
       which make it appear similar in some respects to the Korn
       shell, but it is not a Korn shell clone (run GNU's bash if
       you want that).  Only features designated by POSIX, plus a
       few Berkeley extensions, are being incorporated into this
       shell.  We expect POSIX conformance by the time 4.4 BSD is
       released.  This man page is not intended to be a tutorial
       or a complete specification of the shell.

So do you mean that it is not yet POSIX compliant?  And if so, then
the bash manpage also says:

       Bash is ultimately intended to be a conformant implementa-
       tion of the IEEE POSIX Shell and Tools specification (IEEE
       Working Group 1003.2).

And even then, bash still seems to require the --posix command-line
option to behave in a truly POSIX-compliant way.

   Julian

  Julian Gilbey, Dept of Maths, QMW, Univ. of London. J.D.Gilbey@qmw.ac.uk
             Debian GNU/Linux Developer.  jdg@debian.org
       -*- Finger jdg@master.debian.org for my PGP public key. -*-